There are 13 things nobody cares about your wedding. Listen closely – your wedding is for you, your fiancé and your families & friends to more or lessor degree. And most of those folks won’t care about the details. Mostly they care if you have a ceremony filled with love. But I digress. That’s not what this is about. This is about 13 things no one cares about your wedding.
1. First, top of the list – mistakes. No one will notice if your bridal party does not step a half stride and pause. No one will notice if a boutonniere lies to one side or if 5-year-old ring bearer’s laces are untied. If you don’t point it out, no one will notice.
2. Traditions – these are often rooted in archaic ideology. And my grandmother once said, “Traditions are an excuse to be lazy.” She was right. Traditions started as someone else’s good idea and they caught on. Include or leave out any tradition you want. No really notices anyway.
3. Planning – plan only as much as you need. Stop with all the fussing and trying to include every last person, every last detail and keep up with what the wedding industry tells you must do. I prefer the KISS rule – Keep It Simple, Stupid. And hire a planner. They'll save you more money than you spend on them. Plus they'll save you hundreds of hours of your life - an engaged life that you should be enjoying!
4. Constant social media updates – stop this right now. No one cares if you have chosen anything beyond your dress and you probably shouldn't share that. And most of your family and friends are already sick of hearing about your wedding planning. Of course, if you want to announce you choose Mile Marker Images as your wedding photographer that’s different. Please tweet, share, like, love and bombard everyone.
5. Money – this is the big one. Nobody cares how much you spend. Stay within YOUR budget. A fool and their money are soon parted. Don’t be foolish with your money. The most impressive weddings focus on love, not money.
6. Theme – traditional, shabby chic, romantic, western, eastern, Nordic, bohemian are all words that conjure characteristics not ever really defined. These are mostly words used in magazines to elicit a response. Not one person has ever said a negative comment over what style or theme a wedding was. Pick what you love & then name the style after you.
7. Colors – see above statement. Right after theme, the colors only matter to you.
8. Hair style – make it lovely. That’s it. Pinterest has a shugabillion updo pins. Your hair will look like none of them. Your hair is as unique as you. Hire a pro and they’ll make you look amazing.
9. Venue - no one cares if you have a barn wedding, a church wedding, a vineyard wedding, a creek side wedding, mountain wedding, library wedding, yacht club wedding or courthouse wedding. No one cares where you get hitched. Make it a place that has meaning to your relationship with your fiancé.
10. Food and catering is just something we eat. Fuel. Yes it’s nice to offer a nice meal. And I recommend doing just that. But loosing sleep over veal or chicken or lobster or whatever is silly. No one cares except maybe the caterer and that one “food snob” friend you have.
11. Font on the invitations. Yep, I have witnessed shouting matches over the font on invitations. Really?!?! No one cares. They only care that they get an invitation.
12. Dancing – your DJ is critical for controlling the flow and vibe. And they can offer more playlist than you can imagine. Doesn’t change the fact no one really wants to dance. I’ve heard long, drawn out discussions over music for dancing. After the first dance and daddy-daughter or mother-son dances pretty much everyone is looking for something else to do. Your bridesmaids will do all the dances they are supposed to do. But no one really cares about dancing.
13. Last one – the invitation list. Only you can really judge this list. There’ll be the easy ones that you are certain you’ll invite and those who will NOT get invited. It’s all the ones in between that you’ll fret over. Stop that. Invite whom you want to invite. Don’t worry if you’ll offend your boss’s assistant or a close friend of a distant cousin. Don’t worry if someone at your work will be upset. They know if they are close to you.
So that about sums it up. No one really cares about the details of your wedding except you. I recommend making the day about you & your wishes. Remember, no one cares about your wedding as much as you. And those that love you will only see love, magic, fun and a celebration. Plus, there are probably 13 more things nobody cares about your wedding.